Sweet Citrus Barley Salad
Serves 4 (8 as a side dish)
- 2 cups cooked barley
- ½ cup fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 navel orange, skin grated, peeled, sectioned, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh parsley, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons orange peel
Seasoned cook: Once you understand the portions of the main ingredients, then any grain, green, fruit, nut or cheese can be substituted. To make sure the grain keeps its shape, use a quarter cup less water than the packaged recipe calls for when preparing.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large serving bowl and toss lightly.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar with lid and shake well.
- Pour over salad, toss, and serve.
Per serving: 370 calories, 9g protein, 41g carbohydrate (10g fiber), 20g fat (4g sat, 16g mono/poly), 175mg sodium