Stormy Weather Chowder
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- dash black pepper
Seasoned Cook: The green beans and red pepper add a pleasant crunchiness to this soup. Use whatever fresh vegetables may be in season. Experiment with the vegetables you have on hand. One ounce of low-fat cheddar cheese adds only 48 calories and 2 grams of fat.
- In a large soup pot bring broth, broccoli, and sweet potato to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Set aside uncovered.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil, add mushrooms and onions, cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk flour into milk and add all at once to mushrooms. Turn heat to low and stir with a whisk until bubbly.
- Pour mushroom mixture into soup pot with broccoli, broth, and sweet potato.
- Add corn, green beans, red pepper, and basil. Heat through 2-3 minutes. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Per serving: 245 calories, 12g protein, 42g carbohydrate (5g fiber), 5g fat (1g sat, 4g mono/poly), 253mg sodium