Reinvented Turkey Pot Pie
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- non-stick pan spray
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 pound cooked turkey breast meat, diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoons each, salt and black pepper
Seasoned Cook: When working with phyllo dough, remove the sheets you need for the immediate task and wrap the excess so it doesn’t dry out.
Potpie is designed to use the odds and ends from your refrigerator, so feel free to substitute the vegetables for what you have on hand.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 2-quart casserole dish with one layer of phyllo dough. Lightly spray with pan spray and repeat with another sheet. Let dough fall over pan edges and set aside.
- Prepare filling: heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and mushrooms, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add remaining fresh vegetables, thyme and broth. Cook 8 minutes or until almost tender. Add turkey and frozen vegetables, stir to mix and bring back to low simmer.
- In separate bowl, mix the milk with cornstarch until dissolved. Add to vegetable mixture, simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Cover with single layer of phyllo dough, spray with pan spray and repeat with second sheet. Fold excess dough over the top of the pie. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown. Let pie sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 321 calories, 24g protein, 46g carbohydrate (8g fiber), 5g fat (1g sat, 4g mono/poly), 438mg sodium