Quinoa Stuffed Red Peppers
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
Seasoned Cook: Substitute the spinach with Swiss Chard or curly kale and sauté a few minutes longer. Sprinkle some cayenne into the sauté for added heat.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Cut the tops off the red peppers and scoop out any remaining membranes and seeds.
- Add spinach and spices to the sauté. Stir continuously until spinach has become a dark green. Don’t overcook! Remove from heat and combine sautéed vegetables with cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add salt, lemon juice and toss.
- Stuff peppers with mixture and place in a glass or ceramic baking dish with ½ inch water in bottom. Bake for 35 minutes or until peppers are soft. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on each pepper and return to oven for 3-5 minutes.
Per serving: 287 calories, 10g protein, 39g carbohydrate (9g fiber),11g fat (2g sat, 9g mono/poly), 414mg sodium