Portuguese Lentil Soup
- ½ pound spicy chicken sausage (about 3 links), sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ bunch kale, collards, or Swiss chard with stems and
- center ribs discarded, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
Seasoned Cook: Take advantage of the vast array of winter greens, collards, Swiss chard, and escarole in this easy-to-make soup. Make a large batch to enjoy leftovers, freeze, or feed a crowd with a green salad and hearty bread.
- In a 3-quart heavy saucepan, brown sausage over moderate heat. Add onion and cook until soft and golden.
- Add lentils, water and broth and bring to boil. Simmer covered, 30 minutes, or until lentils are almost tender.
- Add greens and simmer uncovered, about 10 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Just before serving, add lemon juice and sprinkle with pepper to taste.
Per serving: 233 calories, 16g protein, 25g carbohydrate (11g fiber), 8g fat (2g sat, 6g mono/poly), 328mg sodium