Homemade Iced Chai Tea
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, (about 3 inches) broken into pieces
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 Tablespoon loose black tea or 2 black tea bags
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¾ cup milk or dairy-free alternative
Seasoned Cook: Make this tea to your taste by omitting, decreasing or increasing spices and milk. If you like a stronger chai tea, then let the spices simmer longer or add less milk.
- Combine water and spices in a small pot. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add black tea, steep for 2 minutes.
- Strain solids, add liquid back to pot along with honey and stir until dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature, add milk (or alternative), pour over ice and serve immediately.
Per serving: 29 calories, 1g protein, 4g carbohydrate (0g fiber), 1g fat (1g sat, 0g mono/poly), 18mg sodium