Cherry Cranberry Sauce
Makes 2½ cups
- 1¼ cup spiced apple cider
- 4 ounces dried cherries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 6 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash allspice and ground clove (optional)
Seasoned Cook: Why buy jellied cranberry sauce in a can when delicious, healthful cranberries are available fresh or frozen? If you can’t find spiced apple cider at your grocery store, steep the cider in mulling spices for at least 15 minutes after you remove from heat. For garnish finely grate and orange or lemon rind.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cider to a slow boil.
- Remove from heat and add cherries. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and return to heat. Bring to a slow boil and turn heat down to medium-low, stirring frequently. Simmer until most cranberries have burst (about 5-10 minutes). Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, sauce will thicken upon cooling.
Per 2 Tablespoons serving: 22 calories, 0g protein, 6g carbohydrate (1g fiber), 0g fat (0g sat, 0g mono/poly), 1mg sodium