Ornish Lifestyle Medicine is the only program scientifically proven to reverse the progression of heart disease through significant changes in lifestyle. The choices we make in our lives have a powerful effect on our health. It’s never been a better time to make those choices count.
What you'll do
- Experiencing delicious meals and discovering how to prepare them at home.
- Taking part in regular, fun 30 minute exercise sessions that will easily fit into your daily routine.
- Learning a range of innovative techniques that will help you feel more peaceful and manage stress more effectively.
- Giving and receiving emotional support and unlocking the healing power of a community focused on living long, joyful and abundant lives.
- Continuing the experience through alumni support groups and online communities.
- Reducing the risk of a heart-related event.
- Decreasing the frequency and severity of chest pain.
- Lowering the likelihood of future surgery.
- Lessening your dependence on medications.
- Lowering your cholesterol, improving your blood pressure, and losing weight.
- Increasing your capacity for exercise.
Patient journey through the Ornish Lifestyle Medicine program
Diagnosis & Referral
- Tom calls ACCESS Prairie to make an appointment with a cardiologist.
- After some tests, Tom’s Prairie cardiologist determines he needs a cardiac catheterization.
- After his heart cath, his cardiologist talks to him about cardiac rehab.
- His cardiologist tells her about Ornish Lifestyle Medicine
- Tom has his questions answered by a member of the Ornish Lifestyle Medicine staff.
- Tom decides to enter the program and schedules a meeting to register.
- Tom attends his first 4-hour session that includes exercise, stress reduction, nutrition, and emotional support.
- Over the next 9 weeks, with the support of fellow participants, program staff and her loved ones, Tom enjoys the benefits of more exercise and a plant-based diet. His cholesterol and blood pressure are significantly lower and he has lost weight.
- Tom quickly notices that his mobility and exercise tolerance
areincreasing and is thrilled by the stress reduction techniques. At home, Tom and his family enjoy preparing all the new foods for extended family and friends.
- Tom forms such close bonds
withhisfellow participants that they decide to continue meeting regularly after the 72 hourprogram ends.
– Cathy Lynch, program participant
– Jim Vavrek, program participant