Traditional Hot and Sour Soup
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ small onion, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and ¼-inch slices
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper 1½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 large whole egg, beaten
- 2 large green onions, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and onion, cover and stir occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, and sauté about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, ginger, black pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Place cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk in soy sauce and vinegar. Slowly whisk cornstarch mixture into soup. Simmer until soup is thickened and clear, 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- While stirring in one direction, pour in beaten egg. Add tofu, cover soup, and let stand 1 minute. Remove the cover and add scallions. Serve hot.
Per serving: 152 calories, 12g protein, 14g carbohydrate (2g fiber), 7g fat (1g sat, 6g mono/poly), 410mg sodium