Tangy Beet Soup
Serves 4 with leftovers
- 1 pound beets
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 14.75-ounce can tomatoes, diced
- 1½ cups chicken broth, fat free
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup yogurt, low-fat
- Roast beets in 400° oven for 40 minutes or until easily pierced with a knife. Cool, peel, and quarter.
- In large skillet heat oil and sauté onions, garlic and cabbage until cabbage is wilted (about 10 minutes).
- Add rest of ingredients except yogurt, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Process in food processor or blender until fairly smooth but retaining some texture.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a pinch of dill weed. Serve warm or chilled.
Per Serving: 111 calories, 3g protein, 20g carbohydrate (4 fiber), 3g fat (0g sat, 3g mono/poly), 530mg sodium