Sweet Barley Pilaf
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (2 cups)
- 4 mushrooms, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup barley or other whole grain
- ¼ cup raisins, golden or black
- Dash of salt
- 1 Tablespoon each fresh rosemary and marjoram, minced, or ½ tsp dried
- 2½ cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
One of our oldest known grains and often unappreciated, barley is high in protein, fiber-rich and filling. With a hint of crunch and sweetness added to its natural nutty flavor, you’ll see that barley is meant for much more than just soup.
Seasoned Cook: Want to switch out the barley? Use farro, rice or quinoa instead.
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté onion until translucent. Add mushrooms, celery and almonds. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in barley, raisins and seasonings until barley is coated with other ingredients.
- Add broth and bring to a boil for 2 minutes, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 55 minutes.
Per serving: 245 calories, 9g protein, 35g carbohydrate (8g fiber), 9g fat (1g sat, 8g mono/poly), 70mg sodium