Sweet and Crunchy Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup green onions (about 1 bunch), thinly sliced
- ½ cup dried cherries, chopped (may substitute apricots, cranberries or raisins)
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper, or to taste
Seasoned cook: Nutritious and high in protein, quinoa is one of those perfect whole grains to have on hand and faster to prepare than brown rice. Serve this with a green vegetable for a vegetarian meal, or for meat lovers as pictured here.
- Place quinoa and broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place almonds in a small pan over medium heat and toss until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.
- While the quinoa is still warm, stir in the green onions, cherries, parsley, and almonds, then toss with the dressing and serve.
Per serving: 262 calories, 8g protein, 39g carbohydrate (3g fiber), 9g fat (1g sat, 8g mono/poly), 44mg sodium (with optional salt: 141mg sodium)