Susan’s Chicken Stock
- 1 chicken or turkey carcass
- 1 garlic clove, whole or crushed
- ½ large onion cut into thick wedges
- 1 carrot cut in 1-2” pieces
- 1 celery stalk, including leaves, cut in 1-inch pieces
- ½ small lemon
- ½ small yam cut into large chunks (may substitute potato)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- bouquet of fresh herbs, such as parsley, bay leaf, thyme
- or rosemary water to cover
Seasoned Cook: Stock is a terrific way to use every part of your leftover poultry.
- After removing all usable meat, break up carcass so that it lies on the bottom of a deep pot, include all bones.
- Add all other ingredients (herbs on top) and pour in water to just cover.
- Bring to boil, then simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Strain stock and cool in refrigerator until fat congeals on top (overnight is best). Then, skim fat off the top, discard. Stock is ready to use or store.
Per Serving: 38 calories, 5g protein, 3g carbohydrate (0g fiber), 2g fat (1g sat, 1g mono/ poly), 40mg sodium