Savory Supper Frittata
- 1 bunch kale, Swiss chard, or spinach (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, in bite-sized strips
- 4 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Seasoned Cook: Frittatas can also be made entirely on top of the stove. Turn the heat down very low, cover skillet, and cook until eggs are set.
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat broiler.
- To prepare greens, remove tough ribs and stems and chop leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- In a nonstick, oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until golden. Add red pepper and sauté briefly. Add greens and a splash of water, just enough to wilt the greens. Cover pan and allow the greens to steam until tender, 5-10 minutes, depending on the greens you use. The denser the leaf, the more cooking is needed.
- Whisk whole eggs and egg whites with 2 tablespoons water. Add pepper.
- Remove lid and pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil just until eggs are set, about 6-8 minutes. Remove, cut into wedges, and serve with roasted vegetables.
Fritta per serving: 212 calories, 18g protein, 12g carbohydrate (2g fiber), 10g fat (3g sat, 5g mono/poly), 287mg sodium