Rustic Fruit Tart
- 1 teaspoon extra-light olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs or panko
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 6 cups (about 5 large) mixed apples and pears, peeled and sliced into thin slivers
Seasoned Cook: Be sure to taste the fruit in advance to gauge the need for sugar. Substitute soft fruits such as plums or nectarines, as well as various Asian pears and apples.
Apples have pectin, a soluble fiber that helps to prevent cholesterol buildup.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush oil onto a 9-inch round spring form pan to coat and lightly dust with bread crumbs or panko.
- Beat the egg whites and yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Beat in sugar, salt, spices and lemon juice.
- Fold in the flour and mix to form a thick cake batter.
- Add the fruit to the batter and mix gently, just until the slices are evenly coated. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the top is well-browned. Cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before removing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 168 calories, 3g protein, 39g carbohydrate (3g fiber), 1g fat (0g sat, 1g mono/poly), 40mg sodium