Rainbow Lentil Medley
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon each, black pepper and oregano
- 6 cups mixed vegetables, thinly sliced or diced (broccoli, squash, onion, red bell pepper, carrots)
- 2 ounces goat or blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
Seasoned Cook: Try this recipe using red lentils, which give the dish wonderful color, or French lentils, which are smaller, cook even faster, and hold their shape better.
- In a medium pot, bring broth and water to boil. Add lentils, garlic, black pepper and oregano. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a steamer, cook vegetables until just tender.
- In a small jar, combine all dressing ingredients and shake vigorously to blend.
- In a large bowl, combine lentils and vegetables, and toss with dressing. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Per serving: 375 calories, 22g protein, 47g carbohydrate (19g fiber), 13g fat (4g sat, 9g mono/ poly), 212mg sodium