Pear-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 large pears, peeled and sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- chopped hazelnuts (optional)
Seasoned cook: Extra-light olive oil has the same number of calories as regular olive oil, but has a very light flavor making it quite useful in sweet dishes. Sweet potatoes are often referred to as yams, but they’re actually two different vegetables. To save time, you can prepare ahead through step 4.
- Bake whole sweet potatoes at 425° for 45 minutes, or until done. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet sauté pears in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Add sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir well for about a minute until sugar dissolves.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop out pulp, leaving skin intact. Mash pulp.
- Mix mashed potatoes and pears together and stir well. Stuff mixture back into shells.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with chopped nuts if desired.
Per serving: 170 calories, 2g protein, 35g carbohydrate (6g fiber), 4g fat (0g sat, 4g mono/poly), 12mg sodium