- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 6 ounces low-sodium turkey or chicken sausage, cubed
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, moist
- 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon each, coriander and turmeric
- 12 ounces small frozen shrimp, thawed and peeled
Seasoned Cook: This is a great recipe for festive occasions. It’s fast and easy but looks like you took a long time in the kitchen. Shrimp is high in protein and low in calories and fat. Read the label carefully for fat content in sausage.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, sausage, chicken breast, and red pepper until sausage is cooked all the way through, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked rice, peas, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, and turmeric.
- Add rice mixture to the skillet and stir until combined. Place shrimp on top, reduce heat to low, and simmer until shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes. If rice mixture is drying out, add a few Tablespoons of water to keep it moist.
Per serving: 405 calories, 34g protein, 38g carbohydrate (4g fiber), 12g fat (2g sat, 10g mono/poly), 639mg sodium