No-Knead Seedy Bread
with Yogurt and Fruit
Makes 12-16 1/2 inch slices
- 1½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in any combination
Seasoned Cook: For added flavor, roast seeds in a dry pan over medium/ high heat until fragrant and golden, up to 10 minutes. This bread is excellent without seeds, too!
- In a deep glass or ceramic bowl, activate yeast by whisking with warm water for 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix with spatula.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set on counter for 8-18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place Dutch oven, with lid, in oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle flour on a clean, dry surface to prevent dough from sticking. Place dough on surface, fold over a couple of times and form into a ball.
- Place seam-side down and cover with plastic wrap while Dutch oven heats.
- Carefully drop dough ball into heated Dutch oven, seam side up, and score the top with a knife, creating a # sign.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes for top to brown. Cool bread for 40-60 minutes and serve.
- Avocado Tomato slice
- Roasted vegetables
- Arugula, spinach, kale
- Canned tuna, sardines Hard-boiled egg
- Nut butter
- Ricotta, cottage, goat and other cheeses
Per slice: 140 calories, 6g protein, 23g carbohydrate (4g fiber), 3g fat (1g sat, 2g mono/poly), 220mg sodium