Mac’s Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon each, dried rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces lean beef steak in ¾-inch cubes
- 1 cup beef broth, low-sodium
- 3 medium carrots, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced ½ inch-thick with leaves
- 1 medium potato in ¾-inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes, low-sodium
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine flour, rosemary, sage, thyme and pepper in a plastic bag. Add beef and shake to coat. Reserve any excess flour mixture.
- Heat oil in stew pot at medium heat and brown beef on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove beef from pot.
- Deglaze pot with ¼ cup of beef stock. Add carrots, onions, celery, potato, garlic, mushrooms and remainder of stock. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Return beef to pot with vegetables, add tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked, but still firm.
- Combine milk, reserved flour and cornstarch. Add mixture to pot and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Serve.
Per serving: 319 calories, 26g protein, 34g carbohydrate (6g fiber), 9g fat (3g sat, 6g mono/poly), 211mg sodium