Italian Artichoke and Shrimp Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (about ½ large lemon)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 14 ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained
- 24 raw, large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled
- 8 ounce whole wheat pasta
- 2 steamed artichokes, quartered with choke and tiny inner leaves removed
- 4 tsp grated Parmesan
- Fresh parsley, basil, oregano, chopped
Seasoned Cook: To steam artichokes: Run water over the top to clean between leaves, cut top of leaves to fit under pot lid, cut off the stem, cut an X in the bottom and place in a steaming basket. Steam until a leaf pulls out easily, usually 30-40 minutes. Artichokes can also be placed, leaf-side down in two inches of boiling water, cooked until leaves are tender.
- In a large bowl, mix marinade ingredients. Add shrimp and toss well. Let set, up to 10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package.
- While pasta is cooking, spread shrimp mixture on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Broil in oven for five minutes on second rack from the top. Check to keep from burning.
- When pasta is done, save ½ cup of pasta water and drain noodles into a colander. Return pasta to pot, add pasta water and shrimp. Mix well.
- Plate pasta and shrimp. Add artichokes, garnish and serve.
Per serving: 450 calories, 27g protein, 57g carbohydrate (7g fiber), 15g fat (4g sat, 11g mono/poly), 564 mg sodium