Hearty Chicken Harvest Dinner
- ¾ pound chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- olive oil spray
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 yellow or red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14-oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon each, oregano and basil
- 1 cup canned low-sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Seasoned Cook: This is the perfect make-ahead dinner; you can even prepare it the night before through step 3. Consider doubling the recipe for some great leftovers.
- Over medium heat, sauté the chicken in olive oil until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Spray pan with olive oil, add onion, peppers, garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and stir. Place the chicken over mixture, add stock and sprinkle with herbs.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. To test when chicken is done, poke a knife in meat and juices should run clear.
- Mash half of the beans, then add to pot and stir into liquid until sauce thickens. Add the rest of beans and simmer for 5 minutes more.
Per serving: 324 calories, 28g protein, 29g carbohydrate (6g fiber), 8g fat (2g sat, 6g mono/poly), 293mg sodium