Healthy Hot Cereal
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Seasoned Cook: Double the hot cereal recipe on the weekend and microwave portions weekdays.
Flax seed is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acid and helps boost the HDL cholesterol level. Put a freshly ground tablespoon on any morning breakfast.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the water to boil
- Stir in oats, wheat germ, and flax.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in raisins, and cinnamon. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
Per serving: 235 calories, 8g protein, 43g carbohydrate (7g fiber), 5g fat (1g sat, 4g mono/poly), 10mg sodium