Grilled Greek Salad
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise, ends trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cucumbers, cubed
- ¼ cup red onion, diced and/or pickled
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons herbs, such as oregano and dill
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
Seasoned cook: If you’re having this as a main meal, add more protein with lentils, beans, chicken, or canned fish. To make a Nicoise version of this dish, add tuna, an egg, and potatoes. The lettuce makes a great base for other leftovers, too!
- Mix topping ingredients with the vinegar and oil, set aside.
- In a heavy pan, heat olive oil and pepper to medium-high.
- Before the oil starts to smoke add the romaine cut side down. Weight the lettuce down with a heavy lid. There should be a nice sear within 2-4 minutes. Turnover and cover for another minute or two. Then plate.
- Spoon the mixture generously over the lettuce, sprinkle feta on top, and serve.
Per serving: 202 calories, 7g protein, 20g carbohydrate (7g fiber), 12g fat (3g sat, 9g mono/poly), 295mg sodium