Green Gusto Salad
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and cut 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 orange
- pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons orange peel, finely grated
Seasoned cook: Make the dressing ahead of time and refrigerate it to allow the flavors to blend even better. If the dressing is too thick, add a little water or milk to thin it. For convenience, you can substitute canned mandarins in their own juice for the orange.
- In a bowl, mix the orange peel with yogurt and fresh mint. Set aside.
- Boil green beans for 3 minutes. They should be a bit crunchy. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process, drain and put in a serving bowl.
- Defrost peas in a colander under cool running water. Drain and add to beans. Add the green onions and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Peel the remaining orange skin and fibers and cut orange into bite size pieces.
- Just before serving, add the dressing to salad and toss. Plate and garnish with orange sections.
Per serving with dressing: 92 calories, 6g protein, 18g carbohydrate (5g fiber), 0g fat (0g sat, 0g mono/poly), 75mg sodium