Crustless Spinach Quiche
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 cups fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen spinach, well drained
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon each, dried dill weed, oregano, thyme, and
- black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
Seasoned Cook: Serve with sliced tomatoes or fruits.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spray a large skillet with canola oil and sauté onions with mushrooms until translucent. Set aside.
- Wash, dry, and coarsely chop spinach. Add 1 tablespoon water and spinach to skillet, sauté until just wilted (about 2-3 minutes). Press any liquid out of spinach using strainer. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and whites until frothy. Gently mix in ricotta, herbs, and spices. Fold in wilted spinach, onions, and mushrooms. Stir until everything is well coated with egg mixture.
- Lightly spray canola oil into an 8” x 8” ovenproof dish or deep pie pan, pour in mixture, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake until browned and quiche is set in center (25-35 minutes). Let quiche cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Per serving:180 calories, 17g protein, 11g carbohydrate (2g fiber), 8g fat (4g sat, 4g mono/poly), 224mg sodium