2 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika, smoked or sweet
¼ teaspoon chili powder
black pepper to taste
salt to taste (optional)
Seasoned Cook: Make your own version by adding chopped vegetables, such as dark leafy greens, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, and fresh tomatoes.
Garnish options include fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, oregano and/or cheese, such as feta or goat.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices; stir until well blended. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and allow sauce to simmer for 5 more minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Make evenly spaced wells in the sauce for the eggs to cook. Crack the eggs into the wells and sprinkle lightly with black pepper and salt, if desired.
- Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, depending on desired doneness of eggs. Serve in a wide, shallow bowl with your favorite crusty bread.
Per 2 eggs: 260 calories, 17g protein, 17g carbohydrate (4g fiber), 14g fat (4g sat, 10g mono/poly), 350mg sodium
Per 1 egg: 130 calories, 8g protein, 8g carbohydrate (2g fiber), 7g fat (2g sat, 5g mono/poly), 175mg sodium